The lawyer client privilege is sacred. But it does happen that the client waives the privilege and, by doing so, allows the lawyer to respond to defend against allegations made by client.
This does not allow you to disclose other matters. Keep silent about other work product and privileged things you know. Keep silent about the bank robbery your client was involved in; but you must tell if client planning a future bank robbery.
Joseph Connors added that you have to be careful and if a client files a claiming that the lawyer did something wrong, the accused lawyer should only respond to those specific allegations and cannot bring up any other bad things the lawyer knows about client. This is not the lawyer’s opportunity to seek revenge against that former client.
A lawyer may reveal confidential information:
(1) When the lawyer has been expressly authorized to do so in order to carry out the representation.
(2) When the client consents after consultation.
(3) To the client, the client’s representatives, or the members, associates, and employees of the lawyer’s firm, except when otherwise instructed by the client.
(4) When the lawyer has reason to believe it is necessary to do so in order to comply with a court order, a Texas Disciplinary Rule of Professional Conduct, or other law.
(5) To the extent reasonably necessary to enforce a claim or establish a defense on behalf of the lawyer in a controversy between the lawyer and the client.
(6) To establish a defense to a criminal charge, civil claim, or disciplinary complaint against the lawyer or the lawyer’s associates based upon conduct involving the client or the representation of the client.
(7) When the lawyer has reason to believe it is necessary to do so in order to prevent the client from committing a criminal or fraudulent act.
(8) To the extent revelation reasonably appears necessary to rectify the consequences of a client’s criminal or fraudulent act in the commission of which the lawyer’s services had been used.
Thanks to Joseph Connors, Sharon Bass , Michael Mowla.